Button-Downs And Bandannas + #GrlTlk Being Respected


     Although it rained non-stop on Saturday,I spent my evening strolling through Westmount Park with a friend. Thankfully the rain ceased once we got there. It was perfect time for deep thoughts and conversation. I started contemplating on a particular lesson my parent's taught me as child. I didn't quite understand it then, as I do now.

    Growing up, I was taught that it is better to be respected as opposed to being liked. I recently watched a TED Talk by Sheryl Sandberg ,COO of Facebook, where she talked about the challenges of being a female leader. The talk left me thinking  about what this notion about like and respect means for "the successful woman". During her talk, Sheryl states how success and likability are negatively correlated for women and positively correlated for men. In other words, successful women aren't perceived in the same positive light the way men are. Think about all the movies and shows you've seen where there's a female boss depicted, there always seem to be something inhumane about their character. Female bosses are often depicted as bitchy, cold, snobby, mean, bossy, and selfish- to name a few. This really struck a cord with me and lead me to question If a woman can be both well-liked and successful, especially with these negative notions  placed on them? 

    The answer I believe is no. You have to come to terms with the fact that not everyone is going to like your opinion, your choices or even how you choose to be successful. If you're always looking to be liked, you  potentially compromise what you truly want for a popular vote. looking to be liked also takes the power away from you, since you're always looking for approval for what you choose to do. Respect hand you that power. It means not compromising your standards, and making the best decisions for yourself despite what others might think. 

I encourage you to check out the TED TALK by Sheryl Sandberg and let me know your thoughts on this in the comments below.




  I'm not sure if this button-down dress has anything to do with me thinking about the workplace on a Saturday. For this weekend's vibes I kept it sophisticated casual. I think it pretty damn cool to switch up your look now and then. I had a few casual dinners this weekend, and a few meet-ups with old friends. So while I wanted to keep things on the casual side, I also wanted to look smart, and nothing says smart like a button down dress. 

I paired the dress with my H&M hat and decided to add  this black bandanna  to give it a unique look. I have a few bandannas in various colors  and thought this would be a cool and simple way to transform the hat and make it unique to each outfit I wear it with. Hope you try it  with your hat too!   :) xo Outfit details below!



OUTFIT DETAILS

Hat: H&M
Bandanna: Dollar Store
Button-down dress: H&M
Necklace: Forever21
Sandals: A.co (Ardene)
Back To Top