More Than A Woman; Aaliyah Tribute Outfit

    


  This year marks the 15 year passing of the earth angel who was Aaliyah. She was my icon growing up; her style, music, passion for her art and drive was an inspiration to myself and many. I remember listening to her music all the time; in fact, her "Are You That Somebody" track is what made me fall in love with music.  My 10 year old self wanted to be just like Aaliyah; just as beautiful, just as defiant and just as talented. I still do!




"I stay true to myself and my style, and I am always pushing myself to be aware of that and be original" - Aaliyah
Courtesy: www.tumblr.com



Courtesy Just Aaliyah


  









   Aaliyah was the first person in my opinion who made tomboy look sexy. No other has made baggy, boyfriend clothes look this good! Her name is synonymous with Tomboy chic, just Google it and see for yourself. Although she is know for her tomboy looks, she seamlessly switched her style and made any dress or gown look flawless. Her style is simply unbeatable and still an influence even today.  We miss you Aaliyah! xo







 You already know my inspiration for his outfit, so let's get to the pieces I chose to wear.  Any good Aaliyah inspired outfit consists of baggy bottoms (check!), a bandanna (check!), cool undies showing (check!). From there you can customize your inspiration to your liking. I chose to give the look a more modern feel going with denim pants as oppose to her typical sweats or cargo pants.  I wanted the outfit to look slouchy and effortless, that's why i went for this  denim H&M overall instead of a simple baggy jeans.
  I decided incorporate a simple bandanna I got for my local dollar store as a top. The choker was a simple DIY, I basically killed an old jeans by cutting off a strip of fabric then distressing it at the ends. To keep the outfit trendy, I went for a suede cap and shoes. I also love the dimension these accessories added. 

Enjoy some of Aaliyah's tracks below! xo





OUTFIT DETAILS
Faux denim dress top- Zara
Overalls- H&M
Bandanna- Local dollar store*
Shoes- Urbanog.com
Cap: Sirens
Choker- DIY
Shades: Aldo


Back To Top